Information about the 54th United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) Conference, held in New York City, March 1-12, 2010, can be found by clicking here.
In March 2010, the Commission on the Status of Women will undertake a fifteen-year review of the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and the outcomes of the twenty-third special session of the General Assembly. Emphasis will be placed on the sharing of experiences and good practices, with a view to overcoming remaining obstacles and new challenges, including those related to the Millennium Development Goals. … The General Assembly is expected to mark the 15th anniversary of the adoption of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action in a commemorative meeting during CSW.
Summary of Fellows and Research
Four students were awarded 2010 WomenNC Fellowships from NC State University, Shaw University, Bennett College, and Meredith College presented the following topics and “best practices” organizations to North Carolina citizens and at the United Nations:
- Why CEDAW has Not been Ratified in the US… Yet? – WomenNC
- Laws in NC Concerning Women based on Domestic Violence, Employment, and the Economy
- Women and Health – Pretty in Pink Foundation
- Domestic Violence in NC – InterAct of Wake County
- 2010 Student Fellows Research Papers, Presentations, and Reflections
- Meet WomenNC’s 2010 Fellows
- Daily Links @ CSW actually wrote an article about our first presentation in New York. Read the article by clicking here.
- WomenNC Student Panels at CSW Fliers
- Solutions to Domestic Violence, Women’s Health, and Women’s Human Rights in Southeastern – USA
- Youth perspective on CEDAW and BPFA: 15 years after Beijing
- Why CEDAW has not been ratified by the United States… yet?
Global-to-Local Reflections at Community Forums
- Soroptimist International – Raleigh, NC
- National Organization for Women State Conference – Fayetteville, NC
- North Carolina Council for Women – Raleigh, NC
- American Association of University Women’s North Carolina State Convention – Charlotte, NC
- UNA-Wake (United Nations Association) – Meredith College, Raleigh, NC
- North Carolina Women United Expo – Durham, NC
- Triangle Older Women’s League – Raleigh, NC
- Received the Women of Wake County Award from the Wake County Commission for Women – Raleigh, NC
Watch the Slideshow Presentation of some highlights from our trip!
Watch the newsclip from the UN Preview Presentations on Feb. 15th. Brought to you by Cheema Communications.