Information about the 57th United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) Conference, March 4-15, 2013 can be found by clicking here.
In accordance with its multi-year programme of work (ECOSOC resolution 2009/15), the 2013 priority theme of the Commission on the Status of Women is “Elimination and prevention of all forms of violence against women and girls”.
The Commission will also evaluate progress in the implementation of the agreed conclusions from its fifty-third session on “The equal sharing of responsibilities between women and men, including caregiving in the context of HIV/AIDS”.
Summary of Fellows and Research
Five students awarded 2013 WomenNC Fellowships from UNC-Chapel Hill undergraduate and Law School, UNC-Greensboro, and Meredith College, will present the following research topics and “best practice” support organizations to North Carolina citizens and at the United Nations:
- Violence Against Immigrant and Refugee Women in NC – Interact and Kiran
- Human Trafficking Policy and Legislation – Justice Matters, Inc. and Legal Aid of NC
- Rape Culture in Society and the Media – The Girls Inc.
- The Benefits of Men’s Engagement in Violence Prevention against Women & Girls – NC Coalition Against Domestic Violence, NC Coalition Against Sexual Assault and Men Can Stop Rape
- Domestic Violence: Education and Empowerment for North Carolina Victims – Mothers Overcoming Violence through Education and Empowerment
- WomenNC 2013 CSW Fellowship Slideshow (YouTube)
- 2013 Student Fellows Research Papers, Presentations, and Reflections
- Meet WomenNC’s 2013 Fellows
- 2013 UN CSW Flier
- The fellows were featured in a few local magazines and newspapers.
- At CSW, our President, CSW Fellowship Chair and previous 2012 CSW Fellow were on a panel as well, titled Partnership Models to End Violence with the Department of Status of Women in San Fransisco
- Beth Dehghan
- WomenNC: Student Fellowship Program – Jeffrey Martinson
- Becca Bishopric
Global-to-Local Reflections at Community Forums
- UNA-Wake (United Nations Association) – Meredith College, Raleigh, NC
- UNC-Chapel Hill Cabinet Center for Social Justice – Chapel Hill, NC
- UNC-Chapel Hill Global to Local Symposium & Scholarship Award – Chapel Hill, NC
- AAUW Raleigh/Wake Branch Meeting – Raleigh, NC
- Human Trafficking the Hidden Crime – Chapel Hill, NC
- Law and Society Class (15) Presentation: “WomenNC Connecting as 1st Fellow to UNCG, & Reflections of U.N. CSW 2013” – Greensboro, NC