WomenNC welcomes Beth Dehghan to Board of Directors!
Beth Dehghan is a humanitarian and activist advocating for women’s human rights locally and globally. Her unwavering commitment to gender equality has been showcased at the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) meetings since the Beijing Conference in 1995. Her vision and leadership has gained international recognition. Here’s a recap of her remarkable contributions:
- Founding WomenNC: Beth founded WomenNC in 2009, with a focus on promoting gender equality and women’s rights in North Carolina at the grassroots level.
- ECOSOC Consultative Status: WomenNC’s achieved consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations in 2018. This significant achievement of consultative status allows the organization to actively engage in global discussions and initiatives related to women’s rights and gender equality.
- United Nations Activism: Beth’s advocacy work extends beyond her local work. She has actively participated as an NGO representative at the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva. She attended the 54th session of the HRC in 2023, highlighting issues to advance the cause of women’s rights at the international level.
- Founding the NC Coalition for CEDAW: Beth founded the NC Coalition for CEDAW (Convention for Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women).
- Board Memberships: Beth has served as a board member for several local and national organizations, including UNA-Wake, Wake County Commission for Women, Iranian American Community of NC, and the US Women Caucus at the United Nations.
Personal life: Beth’s educational background is in Biological Sciences. She and her husband are entrepreneurs. She has two daughters and one granddaughter.