Join WomenNC for this Critical Conversation as we address inequalities and the barriers to healthcare access for LGBTQ+ individuals.
WomenNC's Lunch 'n' Learn will be hosted LIVE on our Facebook page. Make sure to like & follow us on Facebook to be notified when the event starts!
Representative Vernetta Alston - NC House Representative of District 29 in Durham. Ms. Alston is a lawyer, civil rights activist, and public servant, one of whose major legislative initiatives is LGBTQ+ equality and inclusion.
Naila Segule - a Payne Fellow at Harvard's Chan School of Public Health whose work as a WomenNC scholar last year on healthcare access for the LGBTQ+ community at NCSU has been instrumental in our deep concern and interest in this topic. She has continued with this work at Harvard to include developing curricula around the issue. She has also worked with NC DHHS on accessing appropriate healthcare for those in the LGBTQ+ community who are incarcerated, including vaccinations for COVID-19. Read her research with WomenNC here.
Kelly Leech - Healthcare Outreach Initiative Manager at PFLAG Charlotte, who, among other her work, educates healthcare providers about the needs of and deficits in healthcare for members of the LGBTQ community, including pediatricians.
Naomi Goldberg - Deputy Director and LGBTQ Program Manager at Movement Advancement Project, a think tank, much of whose data driven analyses are devoted to LGBTQ healthcare access. The organization has fact sheets about each state, including for North Carolina.
- North Carolina’s LGBTQ policy profile from MAP
- Reproductive healthcare access and LBT women from The Williams Institute
- Health and socioeconomic wellbeing of LBQ women in the U.S. from The Williams Institute
- Demographics of LBT women in North Carolina from The Williams Institute
- PFLAG Charlotte – PFLAG Charlotte
- LGBTQ Center Durham
- WomenNC Scholar Research, Naila Segule: The State of Trans-Inclusive Healthcare at the UNC System Universities
Specifically for healthcare providers:
- FenwayHealth.org - Health Care Is A Right, Not A Privilege
- WPATH World Professional Association for Transgender Health
- Center of Excellence for Transgender Health
Access to Services:
- The Trevor Project | For Young LGBTQ Lives
- Levine Children's Center for Gender Health
- Duke Child and Adolescent Gender Care Clinic | Durham, NC
- UNC Transgender Health Program
- Charlotte Transgender Healthcare Group
- Time Out Youth
- Transcend Charlotte – Supporting transgender & gender diverse …
- Dr Rhett Brown- Avance Care Midtown opening January 2022